|Brynteg House. 1923!|
Brynteg Comprehensive School, one of the largest secondary school in Wales is situated on Ewenny Road (B4265) opposite Heronsbridge School.
The County School for Boys was officially opened on the 26th of September 1935. The total cost for the new buildings was £25,000 this included a Gymnasium, a large Assembly Hall, dining room and kitchen, Art Room, a Staff Room, two large cloakrooms, a Library, Offices, eight Classrooms and four fully equipped laboratories (two for Chemistry and two for Physics). These were all arranged around two quads that were either side of the Assembly Hall. The new buildings also embodied balconies which are supported by metal columns giving access to the second floor.
As a result of the Butler Education Act, in 1944 The County School for Boys became the Bridgend Boys Grammar School. At the same time the Pen-y-bont Senior School for Boys (at Heol Gam – Brynteg Lower) became a mixed gender Secondary Modern (opened in 1948).
|Pupils of Heol Gam Secondary Modern, 1959.|
|Staff at Brynteg, 1989.|
During 1971 the Grammar Scholl and Heol Gam Secondary Modern merged to form Brynteg Comprehensive School, with the Grammar School becoming Brynteg Upper School and Heol Gam becoming Brynteg Lower School.
Notable former pupils of Brynteg include: Nicole Cooke (Olympic Champion) , Carwyn Jones (First Minister for Wales), Gavin Henson (Rugby Player), Prof Keith Burnett (Professor of Physics at the University of Oxford & Vice Chancellor of the University of Sheffield), and Paul Burston (British Journalist & Author).
Brynteg also has very strong Rugby connections with Gavin Henson, Robert Howley and Kevin Ellis all attending the school.
The crest which can be seen on the pupils jumpers, homework diaries and sixth form ties was created by a previous Art Master named David Thomas.
The crest includes the cross of St David (the Welsh patron saint), The Coat of Arm’s of Glamorgan from the de Clare family who held the Lordship of Glamorgan throughout the 13th century and the first part of the 14th century and the Coat of Arms of the de Turberville family who held the Lordship of Coity throughout the late 11th century, 12th century, 13th century and the best part of the 14th century.
The Lordship of Glamorgan
The lordship of Glamorgan was few established during the Norman conquest. The powers that came with this role included:
- He/She could declare war
- He/She could raise or lower taxes
- He/She could establish courts
- He/She could build a castle wherever He/She pleased without the reference of the crown.
These privileges were then lost under Laws in Wales 1535-1542. The main seat of this Lordship was held at Cardiff Castle.
The First Creation of the Lordship of Glamorgan:
- Robert FitzHamon (1093-1107)
- Robert 1st Earl of Gloucester (1118-1147)
- William FitzRobert, 2nd Earl of Gloucester (1147-1183)
- Isabel, Countess of Gloucester
- Gilbert de Clare (1217-1230)
- Richard de Clare (1230-1262)
- Gilbert de Clare (1262-1295)
- Ralph de Monthermer (1297-1307)
- Gilbert de Clare (1307-1314)
- Eleanor de Clare (1292-1337)
As you can see the Lordship of Glamorgan stayed with the de Clare family throughout the 13th century and the first part of the 14th century.
The de Turberville family
During 1100 a stronghold at Coity was completed. The Castle was built on the site of an earlier Welsh Court. It was of a timber and earth work constructed and later fortified to stone. The notorious de Turberville family held the castle at Coity for many years. The de Tuberville family held the Lordship of Coity from c.1092 until c.1380. The Lordship is thought to have been founded by Sir Payne de Turberville, who was one of Robert FitzHamon’s Twelve Knights of Glamorgan along with William de Londres who held the Lordship of Ogmore. He was given this Lordship in return for his services during the Norman Conquest.
The Turberville Lordship was ended by the death of Richard Turberville, Sir Payne de Turberville's 6th great grandson. He left no male heiress, leaving his sisters as four co-heiresses. His eldest sister Katherine married into the Berkerolles family which led the Lordship to be taken up by their family.
The descendants of Sir Payne de Turberville came to own Sker House during the late 1500’s. The family played a very important part in the affairs of the county as they had held the Lordship of Coity many years before.