During 1100 a stronghold at Coity was completed. The Castle was built on the site of an earlier Welsh Court. It was of a timber and earth work constructed and later fortified to stone. The notorious de Turberville family held the castle at Coity for many years. The de Tuberville family held the Lordship of Coity from c.1092 until c.1380. The Lordship is thought to have been founded by Sir Payne de Turberville, who was one of Robert FitzHamon’s Twelve Knights of Glamorgan along with William de Londres who held the Lordship of Ogmore. He was given this Lordship in return for his services during the Norman Conquest.
“In 1384, Sir Lawrence Berkerolles inherited the Lordship of Coity, its castle and its estates, through marriage to one of the de Turberville daughters. Sir Lawrence probably ordered the extensive renovations mentioned above. He also added the east gate, which opens toward Coity Church and was defended with a portcullis and a drawbridge; a new stone curtain wall around the Outer Bailey; and a four-storied round latrine tower on the south side of the curtain. Draining into a cesspit which directed the waste into the moat, the round tower served the personal needs of the garrison and also functioned as a observation post from which the guards could fire down on attackers.”
During 1404/05 Coity Castle was attacked by the forces of Owain Glyndwr. The manorial mill at Ogmore was destroyed along with Newcastle Church and Castle being severely damaged.
“After Sir Lawrence Berkerolles's death in 1411, Coity Castle passed to the Gamage family. They added a chapel over the hall and a large barn against the south wall of the Outer Bailey, and also converted one of the wall towers into a gatehouse. In 1584, Barbara Gamage, heir to the castle and the Gamage fortune, married Sir Robert Sydney, Earl of Leicester, and moved from Coity to greener pastures at Penshurst Place in Kent.”