A few facts that I have recently discovered about our town!
Bridgend's first police station in 1835/36 was a house in Nolton Street with one or two cells.
Patients at Angelton Asylum wore boots with locks on to prevent them from losing their footwear.
Newbridge Fields were built with a large grant from the National Fitness Council. - The arrival of the Gorsedd Stones was delayed until 1948 due to the outbreak of World War Two.
The current boards garage was originally a coach house of a large house. The house was known as Price the Tanyards House. The tannery itself was on the site which is now the Rhiw Multi Story Car Park.
Bridgend Railway opened on the 22nd of October, 1830.
The Court House was designed by John Pritchard - The construction of the building began in 1874 but was not completed until 1878.
Derwen Road was originally called Oak and Ash Lane but was renamed Derwen Road in 1919.
A large area of Caroline Street was rebuilt in 1973 after the demolition of the market.
There was a books shop in Bridgend Railway Station as early as 1870.
The Davies Building were built on the corner of Caroline Street in 1892 - they were built by confectioner George E Davies. He owned a sweet shop adjoining the side, this was known as Davies' Rock Shop.
The Toll Gates on Derwen Road were removed in 1887 by The Glamorgan Highways Board.
Market Street was originally a track called Heol y Cawl, which led from Dunraven Place across to the Workhouse.
The Wyndham Arms was formally for premises: A House - A Pub - A Shop - and The Wyndham Arms.
At one time part of the building was used as a court house and jail.
The first library in Public Library in Bridgend was situated in the Town Hall (1901).
Dunraven Place was originally called The Square. - It is thought to be the site of Bridgend's first open air market.
After the Black Death hit Glamorgan in 1349, much of the land remained unoccupied; therefore, landlords were only able to collect small sums of rent.
St. John's Cottage (Bridge Cottage) was built in 1480 - demolished in 1966.
The Old Stone Bridge is made of Quarella Stone.
Parc Gwyllt & Angelton : In 1898 there were 1,504 patients between the two asylums, 60 of whom were from London and 478 from Cardiff. The hospitals were still so oversubscribed that there were reports of beds being placed in lavatories.
The usual working hours were 6am one day until 8pm the next day.