|The Old Stone Bridge|
The earliest reference to Bridgend is to be found in a Nottage Court Muniments document dated the 11th of December, 1444. In this document the town is referred to as "Bryggen Eynde".
During 1452, in a document regarding the donors of the Power of Attorney, the town is referred to as "de Brugeende juxta Coytif". A grant of lands, dated 1535, mentions a "highway which leads from Ewenny to Burge End" (Burge End being Bridgend)
On a 1564 map engraved by Gerard Mercator, the town is referred to as "Brigent" - this map also shows Ogmore Castle as "Hogmorcan Castle". A later map of Glamorgan (c.1570) shows Bridgend as "Bridgeend".
Saxton calls the town "Bridge End" in 1578 and on John Speed's map of Glamorgan shows Bridgend as "Bridgende" in 1611. Later, on Peter Keer's map in 1620 it is noted as "Bridgen".
With regard to the Welsh name "Penybont ar Ogwr" - (which is now generally accepted and John Leland used references to "Penbont" frequently in his Itinerary during the 1500's) It would appear that this Welsh name was never used in official documents. Dr. Randall (a well know local historian) pointed out the Wales has many Penybonts, but our town is not one of them. It this thought that this is because Bridgend is situated in the manor of Coity Anglia (English part of Coity) and Penybont was a welsh colloquial translation and not an official name.
Newcastle, Oldcastle and Nolton are always referred to in by their English names rather than colloquial translation. Although this is true, the first reference to Newcastle is written in Latin during 1106 - (Ecclesia de Novo Castello).