Stones of Interest in Bridgend.

The Glan-y-Parc Standing Stone.

The oldest standing stone within the town boundary is the 'old' monolith at Glan-y-Parc. It is now cemented into the ground and now stands next to the Recreation Centre Car Park. It has not always been plainly visible, as for a long it was half hidden in hedge of the 'old field'. The stones at approx 5 a half feet high, is roughly four sided and is about 7 feet 9 inches in circumference. No inscription of any sort can be found on this stone. It is known that the stone had originally been put up over the cremated remains of an adult.. Although no inscription can be found, the stone does embody various 'deep scratches' and 'grove'. These are thought to have been made when the stone was transported to its original site all those years ago.

Two of the 'ancient' stones at St. Illtyd's Church, Newcastle Hill.

Three ancient stones can be found at St. Illtyd's Church which is situated near the top of Newcastle Hill. The earliest stone is a primitive cross which is dated to the 9th century A.D. The second is a floreated cross which is dated to the 13th century. The third is a coped tombstone embodies multiple decorations and two inscriptions - Professor McAllister has described one of the inscriptions as being written in "Hibero-Saxon characters" and the other being in Latin. This could suggest that it is an earlier stone which may have been re-used for a later internment.

Local historians credit the preservation of the third stone to Mr. William Riley. William lived in Newcastle House and was locally known as the 'father' of archaeology in this area. He cleaned and photographed the stone, after it was found faced downwards and used as a doorstep to the Priests Door which led to the chancel.

In days of old, it was customary to bury people of importance as close to the altar as possible. It is thought that all three stones must have been in the chancel at one point. It is assumed that the florated cross would have stood next to the altar of the original church in a period before the 14th century.

Nolton Chapel-of-Ease, 1899.

A later but nevertheless interesting stone can be found propped up against the boundary wall of St. Mary's Church, Nolton. It is an old gravestone with a rounded top and seems to be at least half buried.

Underneath lyeth the body of CATHERINE, 
Wife of ye Reverend REES PRICE, of Tynton, 
and Daughter to DAVID RICHARD.
Died June ye 4th, 1740
Aged 42. 

Catherine Price (nee Richard) was the mother of Dr Richard Price the accredited philosopher, minister and forward thinker. Catherine was the daughter of Dr, Richards of Oldcastle. After the death of her husband, she moved to a cottage on the banks of the River Ogmore with two of her daughters. It was there she died of  'poor circumstances' in 1740. 

(Sources: BLHS - Janet Hearle - Dr. Randall - GGAT) 

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig